Monday, July 15, 2013

waiting for Vera

On June 27th, Patrick and I woke up early and arrived at the hospital a little before 7 a.m.  My sweet mother-in-law had arrived the night before so that she could be at the house with John Ryman that morning.  We checked in and were placed in the triage area because the L&D rooms were all full.  It was a small room, but totally comfortable and even a nice lazy boy for Patrick to rest in!  I tested positive a week before for Strep B. pretty common I just needed antibiotics at least 4 hours before delivery.  Normally that would be just fine, but because I was already almost 5 cm dilated and my labor wasn't too long with JR, my doctor was concerned that I would deliver too quickly and not hit the 4 hour mark for the antibiotics.  (I think Vera would have been sent to NICU to receive the meds instead of me getting them)  Since I was already so far progressed and ready to have Vera, we decided it would be best to be induced, giving time for a dose or two of the antibiotics.  After settling into our room, the nurse gave me the medicine and we waited 4 hours before starting the induction process.  Kinda boring, but we got some rest and Patrick worked on a little grad school homework.  We even had a few visitors who were on their way to see John Ryman...


 
I actually felt a couple contractions while waiting in the triage room which just confirmed that Vera was just fine coming a week early :)  Thankfully before the induction began, some rooms opened up and we were able to get settled in the L&D room!  They were really nice and had tons of room!

 
 We waited a little longer and Patrick was having a good ole time :)  At least he didn't sing any Adele this time during my labor! 
Because I was in active labor with JR for longer, I never really had an appetite the whole day, but this time I was pretty hungry!  Thank goodness for tasty ice chips!!! Seriously, why are they so good?
My mom, Patrick's mom, my sister Sadie, dear friend Macie all came up to the hospital with John Ryman after he woke up from his nap.  We had fun making bows for Vera and trying to keep JR from pressing every button on the IV monitor :)


My sweet doctor came in around 2:00 to start the Pitocin and break my water.  I started feeling contractions pretty quick!  Around 3:00 I received my epidural!  Praise the Lord for epidurals!  My contractions were bearable at this time, but I was so worried I was going to miss my opportunity for the epidural because of a quick labor, that I asked for it a little sooner than necessary.  So glad I did! 

Next post... Delivery!!!


1 comment

  1. Best wishes on the birth of your sweet daughter Vera! May the LORD bless your wonderful family. Thank you Savannah for your blog, which I must say, is very inspiring. :) I look forward to your new entries and fantastic pics.

    Yarek

    ReplyDelete