Monday, November 16, 2009

would you please pray...

The past few days have been a blur.  My sweet Papaw went home to be with the Lord on early Saturday morning.  His family surrounded him with prayer and singing... after my uncle finished playing "I'll fly away" on the guitar, he took his last breath. 
Everything happened so quickly.  Just two weeks ago he was diagnosed with cancer and it was already too late for treatments.  Three weeks ago, he was at the grandchildren's ball games and watching my sister as she was crowned Homecoming Queen.  My parents were in Israel this past week and despite tremendous efforts to come home earlier, their plane just landed in Louisville.  Please pray for my mom... obviously this is not how she expected things to be when she returned.  It has been extremely difficult this past weekend, but I can't imagine being in a foreign country, helpless and away from siblings and your kids, with no way to get home.  The Lord has given her such strength.  I was able to talk with her Friday and she said they had just driven to Old Jerusalem.  My parents said it was amazing to see Old Jerusalem, knowing that her dad was about to see the New Jerusalem.
We have all felt a peace from the Lord and know so many prayers are being lifted up.  We know Papaw is in heaven with his Savior and Healer.  We reminded him many times to give our Nana B. (our grandma and his first wife who passed away from breast cancer 13 years ago) a great big hug for each of us!  What an amazing reunion!!

Here are a few pictures I found on my computer of Papaw.
He was a great dancer (dancing the whole time at our rehearsal dinner), loved finding old Sinatra records for Patrick, great singer and loved going to Jamborees, and our biggest fan (visited countless games and track meets of his grand children), an amazing father, husband, and papaw.









 

7 comments

  1. Oh my goodness! This is awful, I will be praying for your family. Your Papaw looked like he was full of life, and has a great smile. I know your heart must be full of sorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Savannah-So sorry to hear this sad news. Carl's dad told us Saturday and your mom and your family has been on my heart and in my prayers. I lost a grandpa this year too and it's so hard, but I was glad he was meeting my grandma at the streets of gold. We'll be praying for your family for peace and comfort. Lindsay Kuhl

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that is so sad. But he is so lucky!! I can't wait to go be with the Lord! Not that I'm not enjoying life here :o)
    Those are some of the sweetest pictures I've ever seen. He looks like he was a wonderful grandfather! :o) I will pray for your family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry to hear this...especially about your mom. I will be praying for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Praying for you and your family during this difficult time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry to hear that, Savannah. I will pray for you in this season.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't know you..I'm just a blog stalker. I'm sorry to hear about your grandfather. From what I can tell, he seemed to be a precious man who enjoyed life and was surrounded by a loving family. How lucky he was to live such a full life, and how lucky you were to have such a wonderful grandfather who took the time to enjoy his family.

    ReplyDelete