Monday, January 16, 2017

Gardening with your Kids in Mind

 Our family went to the lake after Christmas and my only goal was to sketch out my garden plans before we came home.  I love doing this every year- extra special this year with a whole new yard & potential garden spaces.  I wrote out all of the fruits, veggies and herbs I wanted to incorporate.  Then I read through several cookbooks to make sure I would actually eat/use the items in the garden because I have been known to say things like, "Oh radishes will be delicious in a salad!" and then not eat one of them from the garden :)  It felt great to get everything organized for the new year and new garden!
 After we returned home, I read a great post from Allie {here} and it encouraged me to cross off a few items on my list.  Less is more, even in gardening!  No need to overwhelm myself while learning a new yard.
In my plans, I had two raised garden beds near the house and one large garden in the back corner of our yard for the larger plants.   Why not let John Ryman and Vera each have their own raised bed?  They always love helping me each year and maybe their love will grow if they have their own space created from scratch!
We spent some time making a list of different vegetables or fruits they like... talking about why we can't plant an apple tree in the garden bed and how some grow underground and others really tall.
Once they created their own lists (with a little editing), they were able to color their raised beds.  I don't know who had more fun, me or the kids!

Now I can just take my original list and whatever was not included in their gardens will go in my large garden in the backyard!  Who else is ready for Spring?!  If I can figure it out, I'll share with y'all a free printable soon so your kids can join in the fun.  Even if it's as simple as on large patio pot! Stay tuned... and Happy Gardening.

2 comments

  1. Love this! Your family is so gorgeous. I can't wait to see the gardening in progress as it warms up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so sweet! I can't wait to get started- I think we may build our beds soon and get them all ready first!

      Delete