Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Hospitality vs. Entertainment

I have started my summer reading- a huge stack of books covering a wide array of topics & subjects.  The second on my list is called High Call, High Privilege by Gail MacDonald.  My Nana Stone had passed on this book awhile ago and I am so thankful she did!  Even though it was written over 30 years ago, I have gone crazy underlining and Patrick is probably sick of me rereading paragraphs to him. 
"From the perspective of a pastor's wife, Gail MacDonald explores all four roles (Woman, Wife, Mother, Leader) and shares the spiritual and personal growth she has found within five key relationships: knowing God, having self-awareness & self-worth, understanding and working with her husband, nurturing her family, and reaching out to the community and church family."
While I could share countless lessons I have learned from her advice, life experience and study of God's word... For now, I'll just share the following quote from Dr. Carlberg that she shares helped her differentiate between entertaining and hospitality.
Hospitality is a safe place; entertainment is a show place.  Hospitality focuses on people; entertainment focuses on things.  Hospitality creates an open atmosphere; entertainment can be neat and closed.  Hospitality exudes a warm attitude; entertainment can degenerate to being cool and calculated.  Hospitality puts on at ease; entertainment implies competition.  Hospitality is a harborous disposition; entertainment sets up a win or lose attitude in which one is closed off to dust, dirt, and people.  Hospitality involves making people feel good in God's world.  God created a hospitable world; sin made the world inhospitable.  By our supportive action, we can dispel the sinful atmosphere.
-Dr. Carlberg quote from High Call, High Privilege by Gail MacDonald

No comments:

Post a Comment