Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Seed Planting Party


 This past week I had some friends over for a little Seed Planting Party!  I usually buy all of my plants at Lowe's or a local nursery and put them straight in the ground, but I've always wanted to start from seed.  Several friends had shared an interest in gardening & I figured it would be more fun to try it out together and not waste all of those extra seeds that come in a package. 


We all brought a different category of seeds (veggies, fruit, herbs, salads, flowers...) and I had a mixture of peat pots, starter kits, egg cartons/eggs, & dixie cups to fill with soil mix.  My starters were not as cute as Joanna Gaine's egg starters {see here} but those eggs are supposed to be good for your plants if you put them straight in the ground!  And if you're feel real crafty, try out her adorable DIY plant stakes {blog post here}.  We just used permanent markers on popsicle sticks or directly onto the cup/eggshell. 

It was pure chaos and SO much fun!  The temperature got up to 80 degrees- we most definitely could have turned on the sprinklers!  There was dirt everywhere, the kids had a contest digging for the best worm and I'm pretty sure I'll have random plants growing throughout our lawn from stray seed packets I found in the yard :)




 John Ryman added jelly beans to his watermelon seeds :) And how cute are those dirt cups a friend made for the kiddos!!

 Now here's to hoping our little seeds start to grow and we can plant them in the ground later this spring!  If not, at least we had a fun day with friends in the sunshine and could share a few gardening tips with each other along as well!







No comments:

Post a Comment