Wednesday, October 14, 2009

caramel cake

Patrick asked for a caramel cake or apple pie for his birthday dessert
and I stumbled upon this wonderful caramel cake recipe from
Smitten Kitchen {here} - the other recipes look delicious too!

To save time, I used a yellow cake mix instead of the homemade cake
Then poured the caramel glaze overtop after the cake had cooled...

Caramel Glaze:
1 cup heavy cream, 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar, 1 tbsp light corn syrup, and 1 tsp vanilla

Bring cream, sugar, corn syrup and a pinch of salt to a boil over medium heat
stirring until sugar is dissolved.
Continue boil until glaze reaches 210 degrees (about 12-14 mins)
(I didn't boil it hot enough and the glaze wasn't as thick as I wanted)
then add the vanilla
Pour hot glaze over the yellow cake, letting it drape over the sides
Cool for about 30 minutes to set the glaze.
It is so tasty, especially when warmed in the microwave a few seconds*
I'm going to make some more caramel glaze today
and pour it over honey crisp apples :) mmmmm...

2 comments

  1. yum.yum.yum. patrick is so lucky. maybe i'll make this my weekend culinary project. thanks for the recipe & tips!

    hope you're not getting rained on-
    jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooooo! Yum! I LOVE honey crisp apples! I just discovered them this year and just bought a TON of them to make carmel apples this week. We're on the same page sister! :)

    ReplyDelete